Get Up, Venture Out! Budget Weekend Getaways Around Pune
11 Feb 2016
Feeling bogged down by the mad rush of city life? Need a break but you're on a budget? Here's some help! A list of reasonable getaways to help calm your mind and rejuvenate your spirit:
1. Lonavala - Lonavala is perfect for the nature lover in you. Lying snug in the lap of Mother Nature, its scintillating lakes, ancient forts and reticent caves cast a spell around the region making it one magical spot to spend a day or two!
Dotted with numerous tourist attractions, the hill station is also a hot spot for trekkers, hikers and everyone who loves that rush of adrenaline.
The best way to reach there is to take a road trip of 67 kms. It'll be worth the journey!
2. Alibaug - Literally translating to The Garden of Ali, this is an immensely popular destination. Surrounded on 3 sides by sea, it's fondly known as the Goa of Maharashtra. With the white sand and black sand beaches and sparkling clean water, it is an ideal getaway for those who love the sea!
Also well-known for its temples and forts, escape to Alibaug which is 142 kms from Pune, for a few days' relaxation.
3. Raigad - This mesmerising hill station, located at an altitude of 2851 feet above sea level affords a breath-taking view. The erstwhile capital of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Raigad hosts the ruins of the Raigad Fort, which is a must-visit for history enthusiasts.
The Gangasagar Lake is an artificial lake built next to the massive Raigad Fort. Considered holy, it also serves as a lifeline for villages in the vicinity.
125 kms from Pune, the rolling hills and surreal imagery beckons you!
4. Lavasa - For a sport aficionado looking for some adventure within constraints of time and budget, Lavasa is just right. Only 57 kms away from Pune, Lavasa boasts of a panoramic view and enthralling atmosphere.
Enjoy water and adventure sports, nature trails and some gorgeous sight-seeing in this marvel of a place.
5. Kolhapur - Escaping from one city to another may not seem like such a great idea unless you're going to Kolhapur. It's renowned for its delectable Kolhapuri cuisine, Kolhapuri chappals and Mahalakshmi temple.
Don't miss the New Palace and Rankala Lake. 233 kms from Pune, Kolhapur must be visited at least once in a lifetime. Take off to Kolhapur and return with a bag full of sweet memories.
So, what are you waiting for? Get up and move out!